Tuesday 27 September 2016

The next president?

Autumn , season of mists and mellow fruitfulness....
It can be very beautiful here in this golden season but so far it's been dark and damp .
Maybe it's just that my mindset is dull right now but sleep eludes me often during the night so that by morning I am not very bright!
I am a very lucky woman in all sorts of ways and I do know this but I'm getting into bad habits.
Listening to the radio during the night I doze in and out of sleep but last night I caught snatches of the debate between the two presidential candidates of America...
That woke me up!
I refuse to believe that a country so full of highly intelligent ,likeable people can have two candidates both of whom I simply couldn't vote for!
I suspect many of us feel much the same .
I have had access to various news programmes during the last months, Sky, Fox etc have been showing speeches by the candidates for months which have astounded me.
America was founded by men and women fleeing from harsh regimes at home and they established a country where free speech was a basic right for all. The Statue of Liberty encapsulates this ideal...
"Bring me your poor, your huddled masses."
Wonderful words, wonderful ideals, now being rubbished.
Which ever one of them wins and becomes president , a leader of the free world, everyone will get behind them I am sure. But I suspect many of us will be anxious...
All we can hope for is that the many advisors around the next president will have real clout...
It's going to be a very interesting few weeks...



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Like you, I don't believe that either Candidate is fit to be in the most important Job in the world.

It is a sign of the poverty of politics in the USA that both have been seen by their parties as the most suitable candidate to run for the Presidents role.

And if Mrs Clinton gets in, to we get Bill Clinton as the power behind the throne?

Difficult times for a troubled country, still struggling to find an identity that treats all of it's people as one.