Sunday 20 August 2017

Ageing congregations.

I am travelling afield again this morning to a truly beautiful church some miles away.
They are in the middle of an interregnum. The church wardens have kept all the services going and this week they have had news of their new priest so it's time for general rejoicing all round.
Like most of the churches on the Roseland it is an elderly congregation.
Finding organists who can still play is a problem so I was delighted this morning to find a lady I know well in charge of the music.
One of the local churches has held out against having a female priest.
This is their choice but it has meant that they have had no communion services for some time.
But again they are a rapidly aging congregation...
There are lots of young people around....our curate is one of them and she is doing her best to get young mothers and fathers into church with some success.
This morning I would be surprised to find anyone under fifty in church despite there being a church school in the village.
It's hard to get younger congregations. There are so many beaches and playgrounds all over this place. I have done services on the beach for one church but I can't claim great success for them.
Yesterday I took my car out to make sure it's battery was charged enough to get me there....
So off I go shortly... the very old leading the only slightly less old....
Be with us Lord...






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

We have young families in church, the problem is getting people to work with the youngsters. Our Sunday Club leaders have now resigned, as they're both other sixty and only one younger mother has been assisting.

The convenience of dropping children off for 40 minutes, while you worship, before they come into church for the peace, seems to suit parents - but the Sunday Club leaders end up with them until after Communion- which is a liberty and it seems that being taken for granted has made the two elder leaders decide to stop. At the moment the September Sunday Club is suspeneded as we struggle to find replacements. The Safer Recruiting process means that with DBS Checks, new staff might not be on stream before November. Last week I at 68 was given responsibility for this Group of young children and found them challenging and difficult tot talk too.

Ageing is not just a problem of the elderly.