Friday 13 October 2017

Daily horrors.

Sex, violence, theft, human trafficking, prison riots, all in the news on a daily basis....
The fall of Rome is coming to mind. When the northern hoards destroyed the glory of that city after years of decadent rulers, it was sacked, its treasures stolen and its people scattered....
This is now what is coming to mind every morning on hearing the news...
It is becoming almost commonplace to hear that a gifted powerful man has used his power to obtain sex.
That this power has subjugated children to sexual objects is for me the most appalling news. The shock on hearing what Jimmy Saville did has been eclipsed by worse news of other powerful people using their positions to obtain sexual favours from both sexes.
Fame is powerful. To use it to make other people do your bidding is crass and it seems has been done far more frequently than we ever realised.
The news day by day brings more horrors and more unfortunate people who need help.
For someone like me, brought up by Victorian grandparents during the war every day's news brings new shocks.
I apologise for being old and Christian....but I am truly shocked by each day's revelations.
One of my friend advised me not to read the papers or listen to the radio but that's something I can't do. To cut myself off from the world and its problems is not a choice I can make.
The image of an old dear tutting away at what the younger generation gets up to was never going to be me. And yet here we are!
This over crowded world is struggling. Epidemics, war and poverty are all means of cutting down our human numbers...
No wonder I pray. I invite you to join me. Amen.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

The news is quiet selective on what it reports, and the good news stories are hidden or ignored.

Yes, the world is difficult, probably no more difficult that the conditions in the 19th Century or Even the 20th.

What is different is that the 24/7/365 news reporting means that we are over whelmed by things that years ago, we would not of even known about until much later.

I'm afraid that I do listen to the news, mainly from the BBCR4 - and I rarely watch TV news or read news papers that sensationalise their stories.

Perhaps I'm hiding from the world, but find that the Psalms are a good way to focus my gaze heavenward, rather then on the news.

Having said that Brexit and Trump are the two red flags, which raise my hackles :(